CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Peach Picking
















While Chris was at scout camp I decided I wanted to pick some peaches and make some jam and can some peaches. When I was younger I have so many fond memories of my family and I picking fresh fruit and canning it. I called my mom and told her what we were going to do and she said she doesn't remember us having so much fun. I guess we complained a bit. I am glad she made us do it though. I wanted my kids to be able to have those fun memories as well.


We went with 4 other ladies and their kids. We had a great time. The peaches were so sweet and juicy. Nothing like fresh peaches. Ethan kept wanting to pick up the nasty peaches on the ground and put them in our box. He loved the peaches. Nate took one bite and decided he didn't like them. The other 3 kids loved them though.


If you noticed Ethan's eye he had a bandaid over part of it. The night before he was running and ran right into the corner of our chair rail and cut his eye pretty bad. It wouldn't stop bleeding so I had to cover it up. He now has a nice black eye.

After we got done picking peaches we drove back to a friends house and started our canning adventure. One of the ladies that came had a canner but hadn't canned in a long time so it was a learning experience for all of us. The kids just ran around and played while the moms peeled and cut up peaches. We didn't get everything canned because it was getting late and we decided to just hang out chat for a while. I finally finished canning the next morning. I canned 12 jars of peaches, froze 4 bags of peaches, canned 12 jars of spiced peach jam(my favorite) and 11 jars of freezer jam.
Mirror on the wall I am mother after all. I have that saying on my wall. My mom gave it to me. It is so funny because this is something my mom did when I was growing up. I thinking I am definitely turning into my mom but that isn't a bad thing. I have great mom(and dad too)!!

1 comments:

Dixie said...

WOW!! Sounds like quite the supply! I remember going to pick fruit with my mom too, I think we ate more than we picked..good times..your kids are very lucky to have a mom like you!! I love that quote by the way I think I am going to have to use it!!