Samantha and Kayla had their first soccer game of the season a couple of weeks ago while my parents were visiting. Chris and I hadn't planned on helping out too much because of Chris's work schedule and also neither one of us knows a ton about soccer and then Kayla's coach called before the season started to let us know about the practices. I spoke with him and told him that Kayla was actually suppose to be on the same team as Samantha but some how the city had messed up. I told him that Kayla had been bumped up to Samantha's age bracket so they could be on the same team. Then he asked if she knew how to play soccer and I said she played several years ago. He then proceeded to tell me that he could try to teach Kayla a few things but if she wasn't good then he wasn't going to play her much. Then he let me know that his daughter and the others he knew of that were on his team had been having unofficial practices for weeks. My mouth dropped while I was on the phone with him and I was upset that a coach would say that. Remember this is not a team you try out for but a rec team for fun. I was so mad and had Chris call the city and tell them we wanted Kayla off that team. We told them how rude he had been. They didn't talk to the coach but took Kayla off the team and put her on Samantha's team (which didn't have a coach). That is when they said you guys seem to know what coaching soccer is about would you be willing to coach their team. That wasn't my goal in talking to them but we said yes reluctantly. So now Chris and I are coaching. Ok so I am not really "Coaching." I am doing the snack schedule and keeping kids under wraps during the game, arranging pictures, etc... Chris is doing a great job and we are having fun. We have lost all our games and scored 2 goals total this season. But that is ok we are having fun and I think the kids are too. It is fun to see that they are getting better and better each week. Samantha is number 10 and Kayla is number 8.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment